The small town of Piegaro rises among forests of oak trees on top of a hill along the eastern side of the River Nestore valley. Piegaro was built by the Romans in 290 BC when they took refuge on the site during the war between Rome and Chiusi. The town now has a medieval appearance, complete with sections of its ancient walls and towers. Attracted by the wealth of timber and water needed for their work, several Venetian glassmakers settled in the town in the 13th century, transforming it into a centre for glass production that still thrives in the area today.
Things to see: The church of S. Silvestro and its ‘miraculous’ crucifix, which tradition claims sweated blood in 1738. The 18th-century Palazzo Misciatelli Pallavicini, where the lower part of the moulding can still be admired. The church ‘della Crocetta’ located outside the walls, which contains a wooden statue of the Ecce Homo and a baptismal font.
Places to visit near Piegaro: Monte Arale: at the top is a pine forest, plus an equipped park that offers a splendid view over the Nestore river valley. Also interesting is the ancient village of Castiglion Fosco. Located deep in the countryside, it conserves a tower and castle ruins. Other nearby towns are Pietrafitta, where the Fossil Museum is located; Cibottola; Castello, which was the seat of an important Franciscan Monastery; Gaiche and Greppolischieto. Also recommended is a visit to the Abbey dei Sette Frati. Following Via Pievaiola for a few kilometres brings you to Città della Pieve.
Typical local foods: local dishes made with chestnuts are renowned, especially the desserts, which can be sampled during the autumn Chestnut Festival.
Local crafts: Traditional glassmaking, whose origins lie with the Venetian glassmakers who settled in the area in the 13th century.